Not All Mold Is Toxic
Did you know that not all mold is toxic? Learn more about mold, how to prevent it, and what to do if you suspect mold in your home or business.
What is mold, anyway?
Mold is a fungus that forms and continues to grow and spread if left untreated. Molds are naturally occurring and can be found in almost any home in small quantities. Mold usually occurs on decaying or damp matter, then it will release tiny spores that land on other aqueous surfaces and create new mold colonies. Mold spores can grow both indoors and outdoors on any surface that is moist or damp.
What type of mold is toxic and dangerous?
Contrary to popular belief, most molds are actually not toxic or harmful to humans. Non-toxic mold can range in color from a white-ish green to dark green to gray, depending on what the mold is using to feed upon. There are three classifications of mold:
Allergenic mold is a type of mold that is not toxic but may trigger allergies.
Pathogenic mold is typically airborne and can be irritating to humans when inhaled, especially for those with already compromised immune systems.
Toxigenic mold, such as black mold, is mold that produces toxins (aka “mycotoxins”) that can result in severe health issues, and sometimes even death.
The common most common strain of black mold that can produce harmful mycotoxins is called ‘Stachybotrys chartarum.’ This type of mold typically grows on porous surfaces like drywall or wood. Growth of black mold usually occurs when there is excess moisture from water damage, water leaks, the buildup of condensation, or flooding. According to the National Institutes of Health, this type of mold strain may cause harm to humans through “direct irritation, type 1 hypersensitivity, or the production of toxins.” Prolonged exposure to black mold can sometimes result in respiratory or dermatological irritations.
How can I prevent mold?
It is important to remember that mold naturally occurs everywhere. No indoor space is completely free of mold spores. Even a very hygienic, sterilized space will have minute amounts of mold spores. Mold can live inside damp areas of the home, like bathrooms, carpeted areas, drywall, or near appliances. Although non-toxic mold may be harmless to your health, it’s still important to properly treat mold as soon as possible in order to mitigate any damage to your property. If you suspect mold in your home or office, it’s crucial to call a professional as soon as possible to help prevent the spread of mold to other areas of your property and prevent black mold from growing.
Mold removal experts will be able to find the source of the mold (i.e., water leak, excess moisture, water damage, etc.), safely remove the mold, and prevent future mold growth altogether. It is not advised to do DIY mold removal, instead, it’s best to leave it to the professionals. Read more about the warning signs of mold.
How is mold treated in my home or office?
When you call a professional, they will most likely look for the source of the moisture that is causing the mold and remedy that problem first. The wet and moist parts of the home or office will need to be dried to be able to assess the damage. An assessment will need to be made to determine what type of mold is present and how to treat it. Items will be dried and cleaned to return them to their previous condition. Sometimes drywall or carpet may need to be chemically treated, removed, or replaced if the mold has damaged too much of the structure of the materials. Sometimes the use of a hydroxyl generator will be used to help dispel and eliminate mold spores indoors that are airborne.
Call a mold removal expert today!
Have more questions about mold? Do you suspect mold in your home, attic, garage, or office? Call Dry Kings Restoration at 415-548-9571 and let us help you assess your damage and get your home or business back to being dry and mold-free! We are here to help you every step of the way.